New vs. Used Office Furniture In today's ultra-competitive business environment, where every company is constantly searching for greater efficiency and cost savings, every line of the budget needs to be scrutinized. That includes office furniture. Both used office furniture and new office furniture have clear advantages and disadvantages, depending on a number of business factors, from the size of your company and your growth trajectory to the obvious deciding factor for many businesses...price.
At OSI Outlet, we won't push you in either direction. We would rather provide you with the information you need and answer whatever questions you may have so you can make the best possible choice for your business. This buying guide provides you with the most common advantages and disadvantages related to purchasing used and new office furniture.
Used Office Furniture
- Cost savings: Hello, Captain Obvious. Used furniture presents a very appealing option for businesses, organizations and non-profits on a tight budget.
- Environmental impact: As in zero environmental impact other than shipping, because nothing new is being created and no energy or natural resources are required.
- Short-term solution: If you only plan on being at a location for a few years or less, or you plan to expand in a few years, quality used furniture will hold you over.
- Small business solution: Businesses with less than 20 employees can mix and match much more easily than large businesses.
- Time savings: Unlike new furniture that usually starts its journey from the manufacturer's warehouse, used furniture just needs to be packaged and shipped directly to you, usually within a couple days.
- Resale value: Hello, Captain Not-So-Obvious. Like any new product, new furniture loses a good portion of its value as soon as it is unpackaged. Used furniture can retain as much as 75% of its value for five years.
- Smaller selection: You may have to sacrifice color or the perfect size to get what you need, and the odds of furnishing anything more than a small workplace with the same style are slim.
- Minimal warranty or no warranty at all: Manufacturer warranties are usually expired and replacing parts can be difficult or even impossible.
- Damage: If you want flawless, used isn't for you. If you can deal with scratches and other imperfections in exchange for deeply discounted prices, used furniture will work.
New Office Furniture
- Virtually unlimited selection: Every style, color and size are available, and in many cases, they are adjustable and customizable. Choose exactly what's right for you.
- Modern appearance: The relevance of a modern appearance depends on your business, but new, state-of-the-art furniture can definitely deliver the "wow" factor.
- Warranty: Your new furniture is defective? Missing a part? Have it fixed or replaced, free of charge in most cases.
- Long-term investment: One big reason for buying new office furniture is that you plan to have it for a long time. Protect that investment with regular maintenance and proper use, and new office furniture may outlast most employees.
- Price: Buying brand new office furniture for the entire workplace just isn't in the budget for many businesses. Consider buying some new and some used if your budget falls somewhere in between new and used.
- Assembly: Unless you want to pay someone to do the job, plan to spend anywhere from a few hours to a week unpacking and assembling.
- Shipping/delivery delays: Chances are everything you order will not be in stock. The manufacturer ships to the distributor and the distributor ships to you. If your order is being customized, add more time to the process.
OSI Furniture Outlet Store offers both used and new furniture from some of the best manufacturers in the business at reasonable prices. Just as important as our furniture selection is our knowledge, which we're happy to share, free of charge, so you can make an informed decision that's right for your business, short-term and long-term. Contact us and let's discuss whether used or new furniture makes the most sense for you.