Google has become synonymous with being on the forefront of technology. Google is even an office word in the dictionary. However, their offices around the globe are truly one-of-a-kind workplaces and they are something to behold. Basing their design off of the open floor plan, Google has integrated and made the collaborative workspace work for them.
Mountain View or Googleplex
In California, you can find the headquarters of Google in one of the most impressive buildings. They have the Garage, a place where employees have the ultimate collaborative workspace to work and play in. Every piece of furniture is on wheels so users can move and reconfigure the furniture to their heart’s desire. The idea is that creative people surround creative people all day with no assigned seating. When you are face to face with someone, you might as well work together.
Austin and Google have been in the news quite a bit lately with the news of Google Fiber launching. However, the office has had success already with the tagline of “Keeping Austin Weird.” Since Austin is known for their music and music festivals, it only seems fitting that their boardrooms are named after musicians like Stevie Ray Vaughan.
The headquarters for the Asia-Pacific region is an ode to one of the oldest cultures in the world. Since the office is a hodgepodge of those from Singapore and those who have travelled far, the space is designed for anyone to enjoy. With Google’s rule of no more than 150 feet from food, the micro-kitchens are designed to look like street food stalls. They also celebrate the diversity in their office by having Chinese New Year parties, Indian holidays, and daily celebrations for countries around the globe.
Achieve Collaboration on a Budget
Designing your office as a collaborative workspace does not have to break the bank. There are a few simple things that you can do to achieve the open floor plan layout and stay true to your budget.
- When you can, use as much natural light as possible.
- Do not mandate assigned seating. Allowing employees to choose their own seat each day is an easy way for two people from two different departments to collaborate in ways that may have no have happened before.
- Have a long conference room table in the middle of your space. This could encourage spur of the moment interactions and gets everyone involved.
- Offer adjustable height workstations or standing desks. Standing all day takes a toll on the body mentally and physically. When holding a meeting while standing, people will feel more engaged in the conversation.
- Invest in modular furniture that can be easily moved and reconfigured. Each time you move your furniture, your workspace could feel brand new and may inspire you.
- Purchase refurbished office furniture; it can save you big money and keep you on budget.
Are you ready to turn your office into an open floor plan workspace in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or D.C.? Shop now for quality refurbished office furniture today.